Life can get hectic and when it does, we often start to feel overwhelmed and pressured to create more peace in our lives. However, that very need to stop overwhelm in its track can sometimes lead to more of the same, which then generates even more stress and anxiety. So how do we stop the downward spiral?
Meet Dawn Depke, a result-driven master mindset authority, who guides people through a shape-shifting journey of discovery, helping them to reconnect with their inner selves, higher conscious self, and fully align with it. With over two decades of entrepreneurial experience in the field of holistic health and personal growth and transformation, she has led thousands of people to reach higher levels of freedom and success.
When you are feeling overwhelmed, Dawn suggests the following:
Take Deep Breaths
The first thing to do is take slow, deep breaths and look at the big picture. When you’re overwhelmed, you get caught up in all the things that need to get done. When you find yourself in this situation, take a deep breath and focus on one task that you need to get done. Don’t think about all the 15 things on your list, just pick the one task that is the most important. Even if you feel that they’re all important, pick one thing to focus on. There’s something called the law of momentum that states that once you just get started on one thing, all of a sudden, you’re going to have three four things done on your list.
Create a Weekly Schedule
The book The Miracle Morning for Entrepreneurs suggests creating a weekly schedule and segmenting tasks into certain days of the week. When you feel overwhelmed, you feel that you have too much to do and not enough time, but if you can start to compartmentalize your tasks, you will have more brain space, feel calmer, sleep better, and ultimately, complete tasks more efficiently and effectively.
For example, to help herself feel more focused and productive, Dawn’s schedule consists of the following:
- Monday = marketing Mondays. On Mondays, Dawn focuses on anything associated with marketing, i.e. scheduling social media campaigns, automating emails, etc.
- Tuesday and Friday = coaching days. These are the two days a week that Dawn solely focuses on meeting and taking care of her clients needs.
- Wednesday = creation day. On Wednesdays, Dawn focuses on creating products and services to help her existing clients, potential new clients, and ways to make a bigger difference in the world.
- Thursday = grocery shopping and chores. To help manage everyday needs, Dawn designates Thursdays as her day to shop for groceries, run errands, do chores around the house, meal prep for the week, etc.
Automate, Delegate, and Eliminate
The most important thing you can do to help you create more peace and balance is write down everything that you need to accomplish and then look at your list to determine what you can automate, delegate, and eliminate.
- Automate: We live in such an amazing digital world and there’s so much that you can automate, i.e. emails, social medicate posts, etc.
- Delegate: Learn to ask for help, share tasks, and trust that other people can do things as well as you. From a business standpoint, train people to do things the way you would like. At home, learn to delegate house cleaning or the laundry.
- Eliminate: Get rid of anything that isn’t going to move the needle for you right now. Maybe it’s something that you want to do in the future, but right now it’s taking up too much valuable mental space. If you need further help to clarify what you can potentially eliminate, write all that stuff down and categorize into groups. Eliminating things will prove you with more mental capacity and energy for the things that you’re focusing on right now.
If the article is a podcast recap, include:
For more information on this topic, listen to the Where Money Meets Soul podcast Episode 14: Feeling Overwhelmed & Creating Balance with Dawn Depke.
*Podcast transcription edited for your reading pleasure.*
If you want to learn powerful tools and techniques that can help relieve the stress in your life, regardless of its cause or intensity, check out our course
Powerful Techniques to Manage Your Stress.
This course will help you practice mindfulness and conquer anything that might be holding you back from the life you deserve; reach a state of relaxed concentration to achieve emotional, mental, and physical healing and stress relief; and manage stress levels.